Monday, April 6, 2009

A Great Teacher

One of the main things my husband, Bryan, and I have in common is our love of teaching. We both absolutely love to teach! However, that's where the similiarities between our common profession end.

I am a devoted planner--when structuring a lesson, I have to write everything out, make a checklist, and go strictly by it. Bryan, on the other hand, makes plans, but only in his head. With the exception of his sermons, he never writes out how he's going to teach a lesson, and his best illustrations come to him "on the fly"--so to speak--rather than from research. I sometimes have a hard time filling up an entire hour when teaching a lesson, whereas Bryan could teach for three hours straight without stopping and keep on going. Because of my shy nature, it's often difficult for me to initially warm up to my students; it takes longer for me to develop a deep relationship with them. Bryan, however, has never met a stranger and forms immediate trusting relationships with his students. While most attempts on my part at humor in the classroom fall flat, Bryan has his students roaring with laughter at every quip.

Although I profoundly admire my husband's engaging teaching style, I must admit that at times I am a bit jealous. Teaching seems to come so easy for him! Observing Bryan, however, helps me to continue to stretch to be a better teacher myself.

2 comments:

  1. My husband is a much better teacher than I am; he has a natural teaching ability. Even with his natural ability (and spiritual gifting), he is very disciplined in his approach. He not only manuscripts his sermons, but he also frequently manuscripts his lectures and lessons.

    I am often amazed at his teaching ability, and I also find that observing him helps me become a better teacher. I also find that with his easy teaching style, I forget to "observe" his teaching style and just soak it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I also find that with his easy teaching style, I forget to 'observe' his teaching style and just soak it in."

    Your comment above describes exactly the way I feel about my husband's teaching :)

    ReplyDelete