Monday, April 20, 2009

Teaching Youth, Children, and Preschoolers

Each of these three groups are unique in their stages of development; therefore, each must be taught quite differently. The HBLT approach may be used to teach all three age groups, however, it must be tailored to fit the developmental pattern of the students involved.

Of youth, children, and preschoolers, with which group do you have the most experience teaching? How have you altered the HBLT approach to fit the age group you teach the most?

2 comments:

  1. I would say I am most experienced teaching preschoolers. In fact, that "experience" tends to impair my teaching a little with older kids. The wide-eyed excitement doesn't play real well with the over-6 crowd. :-)

    I think the biggest difference with preschoolers is I feel like in many ways the "hook" is not a step but an ongoing process. With preschoolers, you often feel like you are willing them to "stay with you" as you move through the text and application. However, when you really connect with them they are, I would say, more willing to act on their new understanding and this new information.

    I find it quite exhausting to teach preschoolers, but I also find (think) it has a greater payoff over other age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly admire those who have a heart to teach preschoolers! I would say that preschoolers are the most difficult age for me to teach--I guess because I haven't taught that age group consistently. I know from experience with my own children that it takes a lot of patience and love to teach them. What a blessing preschoolers are!

    ReplyDelete